Developing and launching a plugin or theme involves more than just code, as I discussed in my talk for WordSesh 2013. In fact, there’s a whole lot involved: support, maintenance, licensing, and all sorts of other fun as well.
The slides for the talk, as well as a list of resources, are available below. I’ll also update the post with a link to the video, as soon as it’s available.
So You Want to Launch a Plugin/Theme? slides
So You Want to Launch a Plugin/Theme? video
So You Want to Launch a Plugin/Theme? notes and links
- GPL-compatible licenses
- GPL-incompatible licenses
- Themes are GPL too
- WordPress plugin submission guidelines
- WordPress theme review guidelines
- WordPress VIP code review guidelines
- Sample WordPress plugin readme
- Plugin developer FAQ (Includes a description of the plugin banners)
- Submit to the SVN repository with Git
If I missed any notes/links, let me know in the comments below or on Twitter.
Thanks to everyone who attended my talk, and I hope you got something useful out of it. Be sure to share your own tips in the comments.